3.04.2012

Pita Bread

I love that my talented cousin, Carly Lisonbee, also loves to cook and that we love to try out one another's recipes. I was thrilled to put this Pita Bread recipe to test and stuff it with delicious vegetables and lean meats. It couldn't have come out of the oven as a greater accomplishment and a yummier meal! The steps are simple and easy, even allowing time to do a workout while the dough set. I hope you find this as fun and eventful as Carly and I did! Carly has a wonderful blog as well @ www.carlyskitchen.blogspot.com! Enjoy.


Start out with:

1 1/4 cup luke warm water
1 Tablespoon yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Let is rest for about 15 minutes until the mixture has bubbled. You always have the choice to throw all ingredients in the bread machine as well - I simply prefer to do it step by step.

Add In:

3-4 cups flour
1/2 tsp Salt

The dough will be thick/dense. IT'S OKAY! Break the dough into 8-10 round balls. Place dough ball on a lightly floured surface, pat it into a circle, and begin rolling it out. Don't make it too thin. Before you place it on a baking sheet, make sure both sides are floured. Place your first Pita on a baking sheet, and continue with the rest.


Let the Pita's rise for about 30 minutes. Before placing them in the oven flip them over.
Cook for 5 minutes!



We were creative with ours: Avocado, Lettuce, Cheese, Garlic, Onions, Mushrooms & Turkey.  Before we stuffed, we lightly sauteed the Garlic, Onions, Mushrooms, and Turkey. It was delicious!

1 comment :

  1. I would NEVER think to MAKE my own pita bread!! But here you are just whipping it on out, no problem. Your blog makes me seriously DROOL. Which is why I gave you a cheesy award. (Now if only I could make this award out of actual cheese instead of a blog post??) Check it out. :)
    http://skittlebugblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/seven-x-seven-award.html

    ReplyDelete