7.17.2011

HOMEMADE Sundried Tomatoes

I guess you could call this my "earthy" side - but I needed to find a way to make my own Sundried Tomatoes. My husband and I LOVE them and put them on almost anything; sandwiches, pasta, etc.

I'm not kidding. Do you KNOW how much Sundried Tomatoes cost these days? Too much and I love them too much to go without. SO, I pulled out my homemaking skills (which need some refining) and decided to DIY.


I have a MASSIVE garden with tomatoes that grow like ant farms. Result? Free tomatoes. That part was easy. I slice them length-wise and place them in a food dryer, on high, for 24 hours. Once complete, I bag them up in a large ziploc bag (I prefer the kind with the zipper. I hate trying to line up the zip lines!) When the craving arrives I grab a pint sized jar, fill it with some sundried tomatoes, add olive oil until it barley covers the top of the tomatoes, finishing it off with my own seasonings - basil, crushed garlic, salt, pepper, and marjoram.


WARNING

The end product must be perfectly dry but not crispy, with no inner moisture in order to avoid bacteria growth. Oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes with fresh herbs or garlic added must be refrigerated.






No comments :

Post a Comment